The flavor combination of this delicious summery salad will totally surprise you! Especially if you normally don’t like fennel.
I have been trying to like fennel for a while, but none of the recipes I tried, cooked or raw, worked for me until my CSA delivered some fennel and this recipe. My “fennel bulb” went off. Be sure to let it marinade for at least an hour ahead of time. Take it slaw…
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or lime)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard (coarse preferably)
- ½ teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons of minced shallot
- Mix the lemon juice, shallot, mustard, salt, sugar and mint, then slowly add in olive oil.
- Cut the fennel into very thin slices (either with a knife or a mandoline). Feel free to toss in some (not all) of the fennel fronds; it will add a different texture.
- Mix the dressing and the fennel. Let marinate at room temperature for an hour. Refrigerate unless you are ready to eat.
- Serve either cold or room temperature.
- Grab a friend.. Or eat solo 🙂
I generally skip the sugar in recipes, but here it really brings out the natural sweetness of the fennel and is delicious. While this makes a great side dish, especially with fish or seafood, I like it so much that I have it as a lunch salad. Based on “Fennel Slaw with Mint Vinaigrette”.