Make this chutney to capture the taste of summer in a jar or use the last green tomatoes. You’ll love the taste & health benefits.
What’s chutney doing among healthful recipes? Its sweetness will reduce your sugar cravings; the fermented fruits will carry probiotics to your digestive track. Finally, as with all lacto-fermentation, fermented fruits boasts extra nutrition from enzymes, beneficial acids, and reduced sugar. Your health will thank you.
- 1 pound (500g), green tomatoes, diced
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 2 OZ (60g) ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 red peppers, seeded, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- Pour the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar into a stainless steel saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add tomatoes, the apple and salt to saucepan. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes while stirring.
- Add ginger and peppers, mix and cook 5 minutes.
- Add raisins and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chutney while it is still very hot into sanitized glass jars with sealed lids and close immediately.
This chutney will keep for several weeks, refrigerated or not. It can be served with grilled meats, poultry, pork or exotic dishes. If you make too many jars, like I did, you will have excellent hostess gifts.