Two superfoods and good fats create a delicious Summer salad, that’s good for your skin and your sex hormones. Want some?
This “tastes so good, it should be bad”… and fortunately it’s EXTREMELY healthful. In Summer, I eat this salad at least once a week, since we grow kale. The salad contains plenty of nutrients, including good fats and omega-3. The walnut oil adds a rich nutty taste and, along with the avocado, contributes to the creation of sex hormones.
- 1 bunch of kale, any type, washed
- Salt (I am partial to Himalayan salt especially for kale salad)
- 1 ripe avocado
- Approximately 2 tablespoons walnut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Spring onions, sliced (optional- but recommended)
- Pumpkin seeds (optional- but recommended)
- Juice of one lemon
- Remove center stalks from kale and slice or tear into ribbons, and place in a bowl.
- For about 3 minutes, massage salt with your hands to coat the kale. This is KEY to softening the kale.
- Add walnut oil, avocado, tomatoes, spring onions and lemon juice.
- Ready for consumption!
This is a hands-on recipe, be sure to massage the salt into the kale. Adding tomatoes will facilitate the absorption of minerals and provide a bit of color, while the leafy greens do their magic. Pumpkin seeds, yet another superfood, adds yet a taste dimension. Since avocado is on the Environmental Working Group’s list of “the clean 15”, there is no need to get an organic avocado from a health point of view. I still buy organic avocados when I can, because that ‘s fewer chemicals for the Planet.